Did you know that the un-examined faith is not worth believing?
Did you know that many Christians today have no idea on how to answer an atheist or a skeptic?
Why Training in Apologetics is Critical Today!
1 Peter 3:15—“Always being prepared to…[give] a reason (Gk: apologia) for the hope that is in you.”
Philippians 1:7—“I am put here for the defense of the Gospel.”
Colossians 4:6—“Let your speech be always gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.”
Remember: We cannot effectively evangelize today until we first pre-evangelize.
There cannot be:
…the Son of God,
…the Word of God,
…miraculous acts of God,
…and salvation of God — unless there is a God!
Linking Apologetics and Evangelism:
“This past Sunday a first year college student visited our Sunday morning service and spoke to me afterwards. He said, “I am an atheist.” A few years ago that statement would have left me scrambling for a way to reach him. However, the materials I have received from you have been a great help. With the Lord’s help I was able to answer his arguments and in the end he really had no reason to deny God’s existence, he just didn’t want God to control his life. At the end of our discussion he was standing in the back of our building with tears in his eyes. He hasn’t yet received Christ, but he is now left without reasons to deny that God exists” (Pastor Jones 11/18/05).
In a Nutshell: Why is Apologetics Important Today?
- The Bible commands it
- Give a reason for your hope (1 Peter 3:15)
- Defend the Gospel (Phil. 1:17)
- Answer every question (Col. 4:6)
- Contend for the Faith (Jude 3)
- The Culture demands it.
- We are preaching the absolute truth in relativistic times.
- We are proclaiming an exclusivistic message in a pluralistic milieu.
- We are teaching about supernatural works in a naturalistic world. In short, we have a theistic message for a world that is largely non-theistic.
- The Results confirm it
How Apologetics Helped Augustine
- He reasoned his way from skepticism.
- A Christian debater helped deliver him from Manichaeism.
- The philosopher Plotinus helped him reason from materialism
Reason Leads Atheist to God-
“Nor do I claim to have had any personal experience of God or any experience that may be called super- natural or miraculous. In short, my discovery of the divine has been a pilgrimage of reason and not of faith” Antony Flew
Moral Law Leads Atheist to God
“[As an atheist] my argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line” C.S.Lewis
Noted Atheist Scientist Finds God
“Why would such a universal and uniquely human hunger [for God] exist, if it were not connected to some opportunity for fulfillment?… Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water” Francis Collins
Dr. Norman Geisler is one of the leading 20th century apologist. He has been called a cross between Billy Graham and Thomas Aquinas. Dr. Norman Geisler is able to travel and speak at your venue and still have openings for 2015.
Here are some of the topics he can cover:
- 12 points that show Christianity to be true
- Battle for God
- If God why evil
- Are miracles possible
- Miracles: Can confirm a message from God
- The Bible: From God to us
- Chosen but free
- Apologetics: The key to evangelism
- Creation vs. Evolution
- Islam: Background and Beliefs
- Islam: Doctrines and dangers
- Not Enough Faith to be an atheist
- Homosexuality: Slouching towards Gomorrah
- The Battle for God: The dangers of open theism
- The Religion of the force