Notifications
Clear all

Andy in the Lion's Den

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@andyfoland)

"Welcome to the lion's den," I thought to myself as I entered the office door of a well-known secular humanist organization. As part of a doctoral class assignment, I'd been tasked with engaging a non-Christian culture in hopes of better understanding them. I chose science-minded skeptics as the culture to study. I was in the right place, but the lion's den contained none of the usual carnage, no blood on the walls or bones on the floor. Instead, the welcome was friendly and the atmosphere casual. "But," I told myself, "Not all the lions have arrived yet."   

I began by telling the participants I was there not to debate nor defend, but to better understand their view. I began to ask questions, listen intently, ask clarifying questions, and listen more. This approach of first seeking to understand generated an interesting effect; namely, they began to desire to inquire of me! "What do you believe?" they began to ask.

"Oh, I'm just here to learn your view," I replied.

But the more I eluded the more they wanted to know my thoughts. Imagine that! Here was a group of secularists, several with antagonistic feelings toward the gospel, asking for my evidence! Finally, I said, "I don't want to influence your answers by sharing my beliefs, but at the end of my questions, if you still want to know my views, I'll be happy to share them." That seemed to pacify them. So, for two and a half hours I asked and listened, and they did their best to answer. When my time of questioning had ended, I thanked them for their time and hospitality. Then I followed, "I want to be respectful of your time. I know we went longer than expected. If you'd like to call it a day, that is understandable. But if you'd still like me to share why I am a Christian, I'd be happy to do it." Practically in unison everyone replied they wanted to hear from me. I was able to share an overview of Dr. Geisler's 12-points that show Christianity is true. 

I have only shared a snapshot of the experience but already there is much to glean. First, sometimes our preconceptions about a group are misplaced. Indeed, the majority were not lions at all but were quite cordial. Unbelievers are not the enemy. They are deceived people with genuine questions, real hurts, and yes, like me, stubborn hearts. I'm glad God is patient with me. The least I can do is be patient with others.

Second, notice how the CE techniques of listening and questioning developed a desire in my listeners to hear from me. If you want to create in others a desire to hear your view, first show your desire to know them. 

Finally, it is true that one lion did arrive to the den with sharpened claws and a swiping paw. But even he was tamable through the boomerang technique (see Dr. Geisler's CE book to learn this technique) and gentle reminders that I wanted to hear his views first. 

At the end of the session, the leader of the organization said I led "a very good group discussion." I shook everyone's hand and even one paw (with claws now retracted.) I hope the group considers the reasoning I gave them for Christ. I hope, also, they sensed in the spirit of the conversation a love and care toward them. It is my prayer that the lion's den will soon become The Lion of Judah's den, and the participants His followers.   

Share: